Thursday, June 24, 2010

WAR!

Here is my digital image collection. Obviously, my theme here is that of warfare. I gathered the images from the Big Box of Art, the web, a scanned image, and a digital photo. All of the images are meant to simply display warfare, or its effects (I'm referring to the graveyard here).

This was a frustrating, but interesting, experience. I have never used a scanner before this project, nor have I taken a photo with the camera on the computer. I feel like a somewhat accomplished something by using those tools. Cropping the images to the specifications of the project was a pain, but it has to be done, so their is little point in arguing or whining.

Reflecting on the class itself, I feel like a huge jerk this evening. I insulted my teacher while she was trying to help me, and I really feel bad about doing so...I didn't do it on purpose, but I should have chosen my words better. It definitely put a damper on the remainder of the class period for me, as I was more focused on apologizing than I was focused on my work.


2 comments:

  1. Regarding Thursday evening, in the broad scheme of things, it was but a small skirmish in our ongoing battle to tame these technologies for our use. (I hope you appreciate my attempts to keep up with your theme!)

    I do regret that there was confusion over which Picasa tool to use for the project. In this case, Picasa was just a means to end. The purpose of the assignment was to share (by way of an online photo album) digital images from a variety of sources and demonstrate your competency in locating, sizing, and compressing free and legal images for use in instruction. Judging by the quality of the above slideshow, which I won't actually assess until after Tuesday, I think you have "vanquished" all minimum rubric requirements!

    Another thing to bear in mind: sizing and compressing image files can be tedious, and it really is only an issue when you plan to upload and store or share/transfer digital artifacts on the Web. You may recall in the past sending or receiving an improperly sized photo on email attachment. This can result in a huge headache. It's actually less of a problem now that we have photo sharing and social networking sites with built-in uploaders that do all the work for us. So, in TPTE 486, when we ask you to edit and compress your own photos it's a bit like asking you to cook something from scratch instead of going through the drive-thru at McDonald's. Does that make sense? (I should have thought of a war simile here instead of a food comparison, but oh well.)

    A specific suggestion regarding Picasa and your web album: I see that instead of your name under the title of the album there is a random number. You need to go into Picasa and edit your profile settings so your name appears with your slideshow.

    If anything, I hope you have learned that there are many safe, ethical, and legal means for obtaining visuals to enhance your instruction and appeal to the diverse needs of learners. Your textbook on pp. 155-157 provides ample research evidence to support this practice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Look at it maybe more like a foot in the mouth moment. I have never heard you outright insult anyone, you are nicer than that. Don't beat yourself up over it, she is cool, I am sure this will not hinder her impression of you. . . I hope.

    ReplyDelete