Saturday, June 19, 2010

Metallica

I figured that I might want to explain why I included some of the songs that I included in my little list to the right. All of the songs were inspired by, or can be applied to, something that shows up in history class. "One" is about a soldier who has been severely wounded in battle...so much so that all four limbs have been amputated and the patient cannot speak or see. The lyrics are supposed to be the thoughts of the person, and as you can imagine, they paint a desperate and bleak picture of the results of mankind's wars. The music video is also an essential piece of this song, as it not only propelled the band to new heights, but it supplemented the message in the lyrics. Most people remark that the video disturbed them the first time they saw it...and that is good.


The lyrics were particularly inspired by a novel called Johnny Got His Gun, written in 1939 by Dalton Trumbo. The soldier in the novel was in World War I, so this song and music video could be excellent enrichment for a look into World War I. A movie adaptation of the book came out in the 1970's and that is where Metallica got the intro of the video.


The song totally rules, and has some of the most memorable double bass drumming in heavy metal history. It has classic Metallica riffs, a memorable solo, and is just all around awesome. DIG IT!

No comments:

Post a Comment